Sarah Vordenberg, PharmD, MPH
College of Pharmacy
428 Church St
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1065
Sarah Vordenberg received her PharmD (2012) and Master of Public Health (2013) degrees from Northeast Ohio Medical University in Ohio. She completed a PGY-1 community pharmacy residency with Kroger and Ohio Northern University. Dr. Vordenberg joined the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy in 2013 as a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy. She was subsequently promoted to Clinical Associate Professor in September 2019. She completed a research fellowship focused on decision sciences with the University of Michigan Center for Bioethics and Social Sciences in Medicine.
Dr. Vordenberg is the course coordinator for the first year Pharmacy Practice Skills I course and Self-Care course. Her research focuses on engaging adults in adults in the medication decision-making process, specifically related to deprescribing in older adults and selection of safe and effective over-the-counter medications. She also studies how to improve pharmacy student learning via computer simulation. Her clinical practice provides an opportunity for pharmacy students to engage with community members who reside in low-income apartment buildings in Ann Arbor. Dr. Vordenberg is an active member of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy, and American Pharmacists Association. She is the co-advisor for the UM chapter of the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists and pharmacy student leaders at the University of Michigan Student Run Free Clinic.
Deprescribing medications among older adults
Appropriate use of over-the-counter medications
Improving student learning via computer simulation
- 2023 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- 2023 Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- 2022 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- 2022 Academic Leadership Fellows Program, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2020 Teaching Excellence Award, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- 2019 Fellow, Michigan Pharmacists Association
- 2018 Student Appreciation Award , P1 Class
- 2017 Interprofessional Leadership Fellow, University of Michigan
- 2016 Poster Award: Barriers to Implementation of Community Pharmacy-Based Immunization Services in WayneCounty, Michigan, APhA-APPM Presentation Merit Award for Contributed Research at APhA
- 2016 Pharmacist of the Year, Hope Clinic
- 2015 ACCP MeRIT Scholarship Award, ACCP
Keller MS, Vordenberg SE, Steinman MA. Moving deprescribing upstream. J Gen Intern Med. [in press]
Kim J, Kinney K, Nyquist M, Capellari E, Vordenberg SE. Factors that influence how adults select oral over-the-counter analgesics: A systematic review. J Am Pharm Assoc. [in press]
Rana R, Choi J, Vordenberg SE. Older adults’ willingness to consider deprescribing when experience hyperpolypharmacy. J Am Pharm Assoc. [in press]
Phanudulkitti C, Kebodeaux C, Vordenberg SE. Use of MyDispense among pharmacy programs across the United States. Am J Pharm Ed. [in press]
Choi J, Vordenberg SE. Older adults’ perceptions of deprescribing chronic benzodiazepines. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2021;61(5):533-538.
Vordenberg SE, Zikmund-Fisher BJ. Characteristics of older adults predict concern about stopping medications. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2020;60(6):773-780.
Tai MH, Rida N, Klein KC, Diez H, Wells T, Kippes K, Walker PC, Vordenberg SE. Impact of virtual simulation in self-care therapeutics course on introductory pharmacy practice experience self-care encounters. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020; 12(1):74-83.
Kelling SE. Exploring accessibility of community pharmacy services. Innov Pharm. 2015;6(3): Article 210.