James Moon, PhD
North Campus Research Complex
2800 Plymouth Rd
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2800
2012 Postdoc, Materials Science and Biological Engineering, MIT (HHMI)
2008 PhD, Bioengineering, Rice University
2002 BS, Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley
The Moon Laboratory is interested in the development of novel therapeutics at the interface of immunology, pharmaceutics, and engineering. Specifically, we are developing new drug delivery systems that can enhance targeting of antigen and adjuvant to lymphoid organs, thereby manipulating immune functions in the context of cancer, infectious diseases, and autoimmunity. Our translational research focused on immunoengineering utilizes tools of nanotechnology, biomaterials, drug delivery, tissue engineering, and advanced in vitro/in vivo high-throughput methods to detect and improve immune functions. One thrust of our research is the development of a nanoparticle vaccine that can induce anti-tumoral cellular immune responses for cancer immunotherapy. The second thrust in the lab focuses on the synthesis of novel biomaterials for mucosal immunization against infectious pathogens, including HIV.
We are developing new drug delivery systems for modulating immune functions in the context of cancer immunotherapy, drug development against autoimmune disease, and vaccines against infectious pathogens.
- 2023 The American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) Fellow, The American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- 2023 Samyang CRS Award in Honor of Sung Wan Kim, Controlled Release Society (CRS)
- 2022 Mid-career Biosciences Faculty Achievement Recognition Award, University of Michigan
- 2022 Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) fellow, Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES)
- 2022 Biointerfaces Institute Innovator Award, Biointerfaces Institute
- 2018 Mid-Career Nanotechnology Scientific Award, Applied Nanotech and Nanoscience International Conference
- 2018 Emerging Leader Award, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- 2017 Young Innovator of Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, CMBE Journal & BMES Society
- 2017 University of Michigan Senior Forbes Scholar, University of Michigan Cancer Center
- 2017 Outstanding Bioengineering Alumnus Award, Rice University, Bioengineering Department
- 2017 Emerald Foundation Distinguished Investigator Award, Emerald Foundation
- 2016 National Science Foundation CAREER Award, National Science Foundation
- 2016 Department of Defense Career Development Award (CDMRP), DOD
- 2015 Melanoma Research Alliance Young Investigator Award, Melanoma Research Alliance
- 2014 New Investigator Award in Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technologies, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- 2014 Best Poster Award, American Society for Nanomedicine
- 2012 NIH K22 Research Scholar Development Award, National Institute of Health
- 2012 American Association of Immunologist Trainee Award, American Assocaition of Immunogists
- 2011 IEEE-EMBS Harvard Wyss Institute Award for Translational Research, IEEE-EMBS
- 2010 TERMIS Young Investigator Award, TERMIS
- 2008 Mary F.D. Morse Graduate Fellowship Award, Rice University, Bioengineering Department
- 2007 Graduate Student Research Award, North American Vascular Biology Organization, North American Vascular Biology Organization
- 2006 Sigma Xi Graduate Student Research Award, Sigma Xi
Sun X, Zhang Y, Li J, Park KS, Han K, Zhou X, Xu Y, Nam J, Xu J, Shi X, Wei L, Lei YL, Moon JJ§. Amplifying STING Activation by Cyclic Dinucleotide-Manganese Particles for Local and Systemic Cancer Metalloimmunotherapy. 16, 1260-1270, 2021, Nature Nanotech.
Han K, Nam J, Xu J, Sun X, Huang X, Animasahun O, Achreja A, Joen JH, Pursley B, Kamada N, Chen GY, Nagrath D, Moon JJ§. Generation of systemic antitumour immunity via the in situ modulation of the gut microbiome by an orally administered inulin gel. 5, 1377-1388, 2021, Nature Biomedical Eng.
Nam J, Son S, Park KS, Moon JJ§. Modularly programmable nanoparticle vaccine based on polyethyleneimine for personalized cancer immunotherapy, 8, 5:2002577, 2021, Advanced Science.
Lee Y, Sugihara K, Gillilland MG 3rd, Jon S, Kamada N, Moon JJ§. Hyaluronic acid–bilirubin nanomedicine for targeted modulation of dysregulated intestinal barrier, microbiome and immune responses in colitis. 19, 1, 118-126, 2020, Nature Materials.
Scheetz L*, Park KS*, Li Q, Lowenstein PR, Castro MG, Schwendeman A, Moon JJ§. Engineering patient-specific cancer immunotherapies. 3, 10, 768-782, 2019, Nature Biomedical Engineering.
Nam J*, Son S*, Park KS, Zou W, Shea L, Moon JJ§. Cancer nanomedicine for combination cancer immunotherapy. 4, 398-414, 2019, Nature Reviews Materials.
Kuai R*, Yuan W*, Xu Y, Fan Y, Schwendeman A§, Moon JJ§. Elimination of established tumors with nanodisc-based combination chemoimmunotherapy. 4,4, eaao1736, 2018, Science Advances.
Nam J*, Son S*, Ochyl LJ, Kuai R, Schwendeman A, and Moon JJ§. Chemo-photothermal therapy combination elicits anti-tumor immunity against advanced metastatic cancer. 9, 1, 1074, 2018, Nature Communications.
Kuai R, Ochyl LJ, Bahjat KS, Schwendeman A§ and Moon JJ§. Designer vaccine nanodiscs for personalized cancer immunotherapy. 16, 4, 489-496, 2017, Nature Materials. §Co-corresponding authors.